A home alcohol detox allows you to stop drinking without experiencing dangerous alcohol withdrawals.
Home detox is a safe, convenient and comfortable way of stopping drinking. It is suitable for most people.
Detox medication is prescribed to be taken 4 times per day. THis will prevent unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. The dose taken a betime will ensure sleep.
The detox is monitored daily by me and my nurse/therapist Gail
Home detox will involve the following:
- There will be an initial comprehensive assessment which usually lasts for about 1hour
- Home detox suitability will be assessed- for the duration of the detox you will need to have an adult staying with you to supervise the medication
- You can still be considered for a home detox if you have history of 'fits' or alcohol withdrawal seizures
- You will also receive a phone call from Gail to plan the detox
- The detox meds are typically prescribed for 7-10 days
- I usually prescribe Diazepam (wich is 2.5x stronger than Librium/Chlordiazepoxide)
- The dose will be adjusted during the detox so that you do not have withdrawal symptoms and you are able to sleep
- Daily monitoring
- Post detox follow up